Tuesday 2 October 2012

Finding time to knit

You may think it's hard to find time to knit but really when you put your mind to it there are plenty of opportunities to take out the needles and start clacking away. I take my wool and needles or crochet hook with me wherever I go.

Recently I was in the hairdressers and while waiting for my highlights to take I was knitting mittens for my stall, and also using the opportunity to spread the word about the upcoming craft fair I’ll be at (it’s in Glasnevin, Dublin in December in case I haven’t mentioned it to you yet).
The weekend of course is a great chance to get the needles out. I’m an early riser at the weekends, old habits are hard to break, and while I’m watching the Food Network channel on TV I don’t feel guilty because I’m keeping my hands busy with my needles.
 
While visiting my Mum (who is quite elderly) on Sundays I knit and because of this she recently took out her own needles and started a baby blanket for a new great grandchild that is expected around Christmas. Mum hasn't been too well lately and lost all interest so it's great to see her back knitting.
Knitting can also help keep you healthy. I know, this one sounds far-fetched but I joined a slimming club a few months back because I want to lose a bit of weight for health reasons. In doing this I’ve learned it’s good to keep your hands busy by knitting instead of in the biscuit jar! And another way I keep my hands away from tempting treats is to take just half an hour to eat my lunch at work and the rest of the time, you guessed it, I knit!

All sounding a bit much? Well what about when you’re in front of the TV? One of my favourite programmes at the moment is Downton Abbey (are you a fan?), there’s nothing like ending a busy day relaxing in front of the TV and knitting away.
If you’re finding it hard to get the time to knit you should look at joining a class. Nothing makes you set aside time more than having to leave the house for the specific reason of knitting and it’s a great way to meet fellow stitchers! Some wool shops run them, I know Stitch on Shantalla Avenue, Beaumont do.
Now that the colder weather and darker evenings are here you could also think about getting your friends to meet one evening a week for a stitch and bitc...I mean a knit and stitch session!
These are just some ways I’ve managed to fit my hobby into my day. How do you find the time?

3 comments:

Great post! All that wasted time in the hairdressers when I could've been knitting!

Hi, I'm loving your blog and all of your tips! I just recently had to finish knitting a baby blanket in a hurry and I was amazed at where I found the time to get a bit of knitting in.

My favourite of course is knitting in front of the TV as it takes the guilt out of a guilty pleasure but only last week I began knitting on the bus! I saw another lady doing it one morning and thought - Why not!? I've even stopped bringing my morning cuppa as I don't have enough hands to drink tea and knit on the bus! We have to have our priorities in order of course :)

Anyway, I'll defo be bringing my knitting to the hairdressers next time so keep the tips coming!

Knitting on the bus - that's a good one, I must remember to bring mine with me when I travel.

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More